The Mound at Old Cahawba Archaeological Park

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Between AD 1500 and 1600, the indigenous inhabitants of the area around the confluence of the Cahaba and Alabama Rivers built a flat-topped mound measuring about ½ acre in size. The mound was the central feature of a semicircular village tucked inside a large defensive wall or palisade and surrounded by a moat that made the wall even more formidable to any would-be attackers.     

This village was the northern political center of a coastal Mississippian culture that controlled much of the region.  Archaeologists have uncovered artifacts at this site that show how the inhabitants of this village were culturally connected to indigenous groups both at Moundville to the north and to those affiliated with the Pensacola phase along the Gulf Coast to the south. The presence of such diverse artifacts indicates the site likely served as a control center for trade moving up and down the Alabama and Cahaba Rivers between these groups. 

In 1817 (approximately 200 years after the village was abandoned) American surveyors mapping the Alabama frontier discovered the mound and the deep semi-circular moat some 300 feet distant from the base of the mound.   In 1819,  Alabama’s first governor, William Wyatt Bibb, incorporated these earthworks into the centerpiece of the town plan he designed for Alabama’s first capital. In 1825, the new state entertained the last living general of the American Revolution, Marquis de Lafayette,  with a public  barbecue held atop this mound.  

Today, visitors to Old Cahawba can still see a portion of the moat, but the large mound inside the moat is no longer present.  Historical records indicate that the mound was removed and used as fill in the construction of a nearby railroad embankment in the 1850s.

This site is very important  to numerous Southeastern indigenous  tribes  who assert an ancestral connection with those who built and occupied Alabama’s ancient mounds.   The earthwork landscapes and the objects and information recovered from them reveal a rich cultural tradition that still thrives today among  these tribes.   Our indigenous mound sites represent  a heritage for all Alabamians to cherish, and it is important that we protect and preserve them for future generations. 

 

Old Cahawba Archaeological Park
9518 Cahaba Rd, Orrville, AL 36767
Phone: (334) 872-8058
Park Open Daily 9AM - 5PM
Visitor Center Open Thursday thru Monday, 12PM - 5PM

My location
Get Directions

Located in Dallas County.

Nearby Tourism Resources
Alabama’s Front Porches Dallas County

Nearby Attractions

Brown Chapel AME Church

Brown Chapel AME Church, with its imposing twin towers and Romanesque Revival styling, was built in 1908 by black builder – of whom little is known –

Edmund Pettus Bridge at Selma, AL

The Edmund Pettus Bridge spans over the Alabama River at downtown Selma, AL. It is a steel through-arch bridge that was designed by Henson K. Stephens

Live Oak Cemetery

THERE IS GLORY IN THE GRAVES, reads the inscription on the Confederate Monument that stands in the center of Selma’s Live Oak Cemetery.  Visitors who

Sturdivant Hall

This mansion is one of the finest examples of Greek Revival neo-classic architecture in the Southeast. Built in 1852-1856 as a townhouse for Col. Edwa