Live Oak Cemetery

THERE IS GLORY IN THE GRAVES, reads the inscription on the Confederate Monument that stands in the center of Selma’s Live Oak Cemetery.  Visitors who stroll through the beautiful cemetery will find glory, humor and sadness in the lives of those whose stories are told here.  The oldest portion of the cemetery was purchased by the Township of Selma in 1829 and named West Selma Graveyard.  The newer section of the cemetery grounds was purchased in 1877 and combined with the older section to form ‘Live Oak Cemetery’. The cemetery received it’s name in 1879 when Col. N.H.R. Dawson arranged for ’80 Live Oaks and 80 Magnolias be purchased from Mobile to be planted throughout both portions of the cemetery.’  Many prominent Selmians are buried at this cemetery including U. S. Vice President William Rufus King, who was one of the founders of Selma.

Live Oak Cemetery is a contributing property to Selma’s Old Town Historic that’s on the National Register of Historic Places. It is also listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage.

This cemetery is located on Dallas Avenue approximately 0.7 miles west of downtown Selma (32.405428,-87.031389). Touring maps of the cemetery are available at the Selma Welcome Center located at downtown Selma on Broad Street.

Also a wonderful place for a quiet walk to watch birds, Live Oak Cemetery in Selma is a stunning image of the old south with row upon row of massive live oaks draped in Spanish moss. The oaks hold good numbers of breeding birds – from Red-shouldered and Cooper’s hawks to warblers, vireos, Summer Tanagers, and various flycatchers. Winter brings many sparrows to the open understory, and mixed-species feeding flocks of songbirds. A visit here shouldn’t require more than a couple of hours.

My location
Get Directions

Located in Dallas County.

Nearby Tourism Resources
Alabama’s Front Porches Dallas County

Nearby Attractions

Brown Chapel AME Church

Brown Chapel AME Church, with its imposing twin towers and Romanesque Revival styling, was built in 1908 by black builder – of whom little is known –

Edmund Pettus Bridge at Selma, AL

The Edmund Pettus Bridge spans over the Alabama River at downtown Selma, AL. It is a steel through-arch bridge that was designed by Henson K. Stephens

Sturdivant Hall

This mansion is one of the finest examples of Greek Revival neo-classic architecture in the Southeast. Built in 1852-1856 as a townhouse for Col. Edwa

The Mound at Old Cahawba Archaeological Park

Between AD 1500 and 1600, the indigenous inhabitants of the area around the confluence of the Cahaba and Alabama Rivers built a flat-topped mound meas